Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Email? Text? Call? What's the best way to communicate?

In my favorite scene in the movie He's Just Not That Into You,  Drew Barrymore's character (Mary) commiserates with a friend:

“I had this guy leave me a voice mail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell... and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It’s exhausting.”

It's an hilarious scene, full of Barrymore's charm!

So how do you choose the best way to communicate these days?  Whether it's with a friend or a business colleague, do you email? Text? Call?  Send a message inside Facebook?  It's confusing at times.

In "Don't Call Us--We'll Facebook You," (Inc.com), Hollis Thomases talks about this dilemma, focusing mostly on our one-to-one communications with customers and partners:

http://www.inc.com/hollis-thomases/communication-challenge-call-email-text-or-facebook.html

And if you'd like to view the Barrymore clip, it's on YouTube (51 seconds):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7GgBlLxwH4

No comments: